Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mission Memories

I left on my mission on August 17, 2005.  Has it really been almost seven years since I left on my mission?  There are so many vivid memories that I carry with me each day.  
(MTC District)


I think of my mission frequently as it is, but in the past two weeks, I had a dear mission friend and my cute cousin who's getting ready to leave on a mission come to visit - so, it's been on my mind even more.

The last seven years has been full of a lot of unexpected detours, but I'm happy and so grateful for the opportunities and experiences that I've had.  More than anything in the world, I want to be married and to have my own family.  I was not born with career ambitions, and no matter how hard I try to develop them, I just can't.  I want to be involved.  I want to see the world.  I want to live all of my dreams, but none of them trumps the dream of my own family.

Yet, no matter how much I dream of my own family, I would not give up my experiences of the last seven years.  I received my patriarchal blessing  when I was 16 and it truly opened my eyes to who I am, what I can achieve and who I can become.  Before my mission, I never thought a mission was part of my plan.  However, the longer that I'm home from my mission, the more I understand God's divine inspiration and direction in helping me go on a mission.  It's changed my life.  

It taught me about truth, about love, about work, about success, about compassion, forgiveness, happiness.  It forced me step outside my comfort zone, experience another culture, and learn Spanish (finally).  Most importantly, it taught me about God, about the Plan of Salvation, and about everyone's immense potential. I will be forever grateful for the influence that my mission continues to have in my life. Viva Chile! And best of luck to Hollie as she embarks on the best journey of her life!

(end of my mission - faded brown skirt; dusty, worn out danskos; calloused feet; and a very, very happy Becky!)





No comments:

Post a Comment