Sunday, July 8, 2012

Hymnimony Sunday

Today in my ward my had a musical Sacrament Meeting which is always one of my favorites.  It's a testimony meeting where each testimony is about a particularly impactful hymn, and, after each testimony, the congregation sings one verse from the hymn.  I love it!

I have a hard time remembering most pop songs and they rarely get stuck in my head, but somehow the hymns are often stuck in my head.  For several years after my mission it was "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy" and, only recently, within the past few months, it has transitioned into "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me".  I hum it, whistle it, sing it several times a day.  It just comes to mind. 

I am grateful for that, and I am grateful that I could share my testimony today.  I've been in the Colonial First Ward for nearly 2 years and have never gotten up to bear my testimony, and I rarely speak up in class, so I feel like I haven't been an active participant.  But today, since I love the hymns so much, I found enough courage to get up.

I want to write down what I remember from the testimony that I shared today.

I am both fiercely independent and yet so fearful of uncertainty and the future.  I want to fight for my own path and yet I find myself so pinned down by the things that I don't know.  Will I marry Seth?  Will I find someone else to marry?  Will I have to make a career for myself?  Should I go to grad school?  What should I study?  Will I have the energy to be a great mother?  Will I be able to hold tight in a world of uncertainty and declining morals?  Will I be able to judge properly?  Will I achieve my destiny?  Those are pretty weighty questions if one tries to move forward alone.  I'm grateful for the hymn, "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me" because it reminds me that I AM NOT ALONE.  I do not have to do it alone.  I have a friend.  I have a Savior who has promised me that He will be by my side throughout life.  When I forget, life is much harder than it ought to be.  When I remember, I can feel happiness even without answers to every question and I'm filled with the confidence that I will be able to live the life I've both been promised and the life that I dream of.  There is no need to fear.  As the third verse of the hymn states, "Fear Not, I will Pilot Thee."

It felt good to share my feelings today and to feel the Spirit remind me of what I know and what I ought never to forget.  Oh how I want to be righteous, valiant and obedient.  I want the blessings that I've been promised.  If I will allow the Savior to pilot me, I will be those things and achieve those things.  That's a huge promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment